The Lamaze Fundamentals for Parenting
- Positive parenting is vital to the physical, emotional and spiritual health of our children, ourselves and our society.
- A safe, healthy birth experience provides a strong foundation for parenting.
- Parenting is joyful, important, challenging and deeply satisfying work that is worthy of everyone’s best efforts.
- Parenting begins before birth. The intimate connection between children and their parents must be respected and protected from the moment of birth and throughout life.
- Parents play unique, irreplaceable roles in their children’s lives.
- Babies and children thrive in close, consistent interaction with their parents.
- Parenting is a learned art; our most important teachers are our own parents, our family and our children.
- Good parenting requires the support of family, friends and community.
- Knowledge and support enhance parents’ confidence and ability to make informed decisions that meet the needs of their children and themselves.