Certification: Examination Eligibility and Review Process
This policy is established to ensure uniform procedures are followed for determining exam eligibility and for the open exam application review process.
The Certification Council has sole responsibility for setting eligibility criteria and determining eligibility for the certification examination. The Application Review Committee, which is comprised of the Exam Development Committee Chair and one other member of the Certification Council appointed by the Chair, has responsibility for reviewing applications for open exam candidates to determine eligibility. The Chair of the Council will make the final determination regarding candidate eligibility.
To be eligible for the Lamaze International Certification Examination, an applicant must meet the criteria in Pathway 1 (a new Childbirth Educator), Pathway 2 (open/experience educator) or Pathway 3 (midwife/midwifery student):
Pathway 1 – You are beginning a new career as a childbirth educator
- Provide documentation of successful completion of a Lamaze Accredited Childbirth Education Program Seminar and self-study from Lamaze Study Guide. Candidates must sit for the exam within three years of completing the seminar.
Provide documentation of successful completion of a formal course on teaching childbirth education (i.e. ICEA, Bradley, Birthing from Within, Birth Works, CAPPA, Childbirth International) and do one of the following:
- Complete three Lamaze Educator Essentials.
- Provide documentation of completing 25 contact hours of continuing education related to the Lamaze in the past three years.
Pathway 2 – You are an experienced childbirth educator
- Provide documentation of 60 hours of formal childbirth education teaching experience in the past three years. Childbirth education may include pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, sibling and postpartum classes. Options include:
- Complete three Lamaze Educator Essentials.
- Complete a Lamaze-Accredited Childbirth Educator Seminar
- Complete 25 hours of continuing education related to the Lamaze Childbirth Educator
- Complete a formal course on teaching childbirth education
Pathway 3 – You have completed or are currently in a midwifery program
Provide documentation of completing a Lamaze “Fast-Track for Midwives” seminar
- Provide documentation of completing a Lamaze-Accredited Childbirth Educator Seminar.
The following procedures are followed for determining eligibility of a candidate to take the Lamaze International Childbirth Educator Certification Exam:
A candidate who has met the eligibility criteria may apply to take the Certification Exam. The candidate must submit a completed exam application form and exam fee to the Administrative Office by the published deadline. Any requests for special testing accommodations pursuant to the American Disability Act must be made in writing and submitted with the application no later than the specified deadline. Lamaze International reserves the right to obtain a second professional opinion regarding the nature and severity of the disability and appropriate accommodations. Candidates may be responsible for any fees/ charges incurred for accommodation. Likewise, special requests for alternate arrangements on the basis of religious observances must be received at the Administrative Office by the published deadline. Again, Lamaze International reserves the right to confirm the reason for the special request. Lamaze International will contact the applicant to make necessary arrangements regarding such requests for special accommodations. Candidates are responsible for locating an appropriate test site, preferably in an education setting with a testing department, and a proctor who is not an LCCE educator. The candidate’s database record is updated to indicate that the application materials have been received and the test site which the candidate has chosen. If the application is incomplete, a letter is sent to the candidate notifying them of the needed materials. An incomplete application fee may apply.
Once it has been determined that an application is complete, the candidate must be determined to be eligible to take the Certification Exam. The certification staff will determine eligibility placed on the completed and uploaded documentation specified above for each category. Any questions that arise on eligibility should be brought to the Certification Council Governing Body Chair for approval.
No individual will be excluded from the opportunity to participate in the Lamaze International Certification Program on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, age or disability.
Approved: March, 1996
Updated: June, 2002, March 2012, April 2016, June 2017