Administration: Election Procedures
To ensure that each Lamaze International member, whether or not she or he can be personally present at the Annual Meeting, has a vote both in the nominating and electing processes.
The following procedure is established for nominating and electing members of the Board of Directors and the Nominating Committee:
- The Nominating Committee will prepare the Slate of Candidates for the next annual Board of Directors and the Nominating Committee and submit it to the Lamaze International Administrative Office no later than 75 days prior to the Annual Meeting.
- The proxy will be prepared with the candidates for the Board of Directors and the Nominating Committee positioned on the ballot by random selection, and the candidates’ credentials will also be listed. The proxy shall include instructions to vote for three of the six Board of Director candidates, and for two of the six Nominating Committee candidates.
- Proxies with the Slate of Candidates for both the Board of Directors and Nominating Committee will be mailed to all members no fewer than 45 days prior to the Annual Meeting. Members may vote either in person or by proxy.
- The President of Lamaze International will, prior to the meeting, appoint three (3) Supervisors of Election to count the proxies and votes at the Annual Meeting.
- A preliminary review and tally of the proxies returned by mail will be conducted as follows by an outside independent agency for the Supervisors of Election:
- Each proxy will be checked for signature, and the proxy holder’s name will be checked with the certified list of voting members printed on date-of-record. The proxy holder’s name will be highlighted on the certified list of members to denote they have voted.
- Tally cards will be made for each candidate and item on the proxy form.
- Proxy cards will be prepared for each designated proxy holder, reporting the number of votes assigned for each designated proxy holder.
- A report on the preliminary tally will be prepared and taken to the Annual Conference. All uncounted proxies received in the Lamaze International Administrative Office after the preliminary tally and before the conference shall be hand carried to the meeting, along with the certified list of voting members, the original tally sheets, tally cards, and proxy cards.
- Extra proxy forms for each coalition, and copies of the background information on candidates and other proxy items will be taken to the annual conference.
- Throughout the three days of the conference members may cast their vote on-site at the proxy desk. Staff and volunteers working at the proxy desk will process on-site voting as follows:
- Staff or volunteer will check the certified list of voting members to determine if the individual is eligible to vote. Members will be given a proxy, and reference copies of the background information will be made available at the desk. The proxy must be signed, or it is not valid.
- Member badges will be marked "Lamaze Approved" so they can vote at the Annual Meeting should any other business come before the meeting.
- If an individual’s name does not appear on the list, or if other problems arise, the Executive Director will be notified.
- On-site votes are tallied by the appointed Supervisors of Election in the same manner as the preliminary tally. The preliminary tally and the on-site tally are totaled for a final count.
- If a situation arises where a member loses their proxy form mailed on the date-of-record, the member must submit a written request for an additional proxy form to the Lamaze International Administrative office. Membership will be verified on the certified list of voting members. Before mailing the second proxy form, the Administrative office will verify the member’s request with the member over the phone.
- Proxies faxed to the Lamaze International Administrative Office prior to the deadline noted on the proxy form will be accepted.
- The names of successful candidates for Directors and Nominating Committee members will be announced immediately after the proxy ballots are counted by a spokesperson selected by the Supervisors of Election.
Approved: April, 1993
Revised: October, 1996