Certification: Conflict of Interest
A program of professional evaluation for childbirth education must be, and appear to be, objective in every respect. For this reason, actual and apparent conflicts of interest must be avoided. An actual or apparent conflict of interest exists where certain relationships are present or the impartiality of judgment might reasonably be questioned. The existence of actual or apparent conflicts of interest does not necessarily imply anything improper, but simply that evaluation should not occur under those circumstances.
The following conflicts-of-interest guidelines apply to the development of tests, and test administration:
- Certification Council Members, Certification Program Consultants, and Proctors shall not serve where the nature of personal or business relationship are such that impartiality might be reasonably questioned. This includes friendly, as well as unfriendly, acquaintances.
- Certification Council Members, Certification Program Consultants, and Proctors shall not promote their affiliation with Lamaze International programs for commercial purposes; they may, however, identify their participation in professional curriculum vitae.
- Certification Council Members, Certification Program Consultants, and Proctors may not give courses, consult or publish guides for program approval or test preparation using information obtained through their work with Lamaze International or using their affiliation with Lamaze International.
- Certification Council Members, Certification Program Consultants, and Proctors shall maintain as confidential all information which they receive in the test development, or test administration. The property of all information obtained during Lamaze International test development, and proctoring is the sole property of Lamaze International.
- Certification Council Members, Certification Program Consultants, and Proctors shall not perform a similar function for a competing group at least three years from serving as a Lamaze International Certification Council Member or Proctor.
- Lamaze International Certification Council Members, Certification Program Consultants, or Proctors shall receive no remuneration or other consideration for any Lamaze International test from any program, institution or participant. Certification Council Members and Exam Proctors shall be selected by Lamaze International from qualified persons; compensation or reimbursement, if any, shall be paid by Lamaze International only.
- Certification Council Members, Certification Program Consultants, and Proctors shall not participate in or consult on an exam review course. The only exception would be for an exam review course that is purely limited to discussion of examination procedures, e.g. test taking skills. However, involvement in any review course that addresses issues of potential exam content presents a serious conflict of interest.
- Certification Council Members and Proctors should not administer certification examinations to their Lamaze Childbirth Educator Program students.
- Certification Council Members and Proctors may not serve where a relative by blood or marriage, or person with whom the educator resides, is involved in the program or examination.
- Any doubt concerning the application of the rules of an actual or apparent conflict of interest should be resolved in form of disqualification. Certification Council Members and Proctors shall, prior to service, sign an agreement to comply with all the foregoing rules and disclose any current or future relevant facts relating to actual or potential conflicts of interest as they occur.
I have read and agree to comply with each aspect of the above-stated Lamaze International Certification Council Conflicts of Interest Policy now and in the future. I acknowledge that full compliance with each aspect of the Policy is a condition to serve and continue to serve as a Lamaze International Certification Council Member, Certification Program Consultant or Examination Proctor. There are no circumstances of which I am aware which create an actual or potential conflict of interest. I agree to disclose immediately and in writing to Lamaze International any circumstance which creates an actual or potential conflict of interest. I am keeping a copy of this agreement.
Please return a signed copy to the Lamaze International Administrative Office, 2025 M Street, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC, 20036 or via fax 202-367-2128.
Approved: April, 1992
Revisions approved: March, 1993
Revisions approved: March, 1996