Governance: Volunteer Commitment of Conduct
As a member of a Lamaze International Board of Directors, Council or Committee, I agree to adhere to and be bound by the following principles and commitments in my volunteer service to promote efficiency, respect, and good governance.
1. I will be familiar with the Lamaze mission and goals and the roles and responsibilities of my position, and will abide by all Lamaze policies.
2. I will be thorough and diligent in reviewing the underlying facts and issues for each recommendation or decision I am called upon to make. I will review materials in preparation for meetings, and between meetings will engage in timely communication, generally within 3 business days when not on vacation/travel. I will be respectful in electronic communications and will follow standards established for e-mail etiquette to enhance the overall effectiveness of the organization. (Visit http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html to review The Core Rules of Netiquette by Virginia Shea).
3. I will be respectful of the points of view of my fellow Board/Council/Committee members and professional staff which differ from my own. I will bring concerns forward in a constructive manner and am committed to direct, honest approach to resolving conflict.
4. I will support a strong partnership between volunteer leaders and staff based upon common expectations, trust, collaborative planning, joint evaluation, regular communication and mutual respect. If I identify a performance or process issue that needs improvement I will share these concerns in a productive manner, e.g., I will give timely, accurate details about the behavior or process that needs improvement to the appropriate supervisor, I will not discuss what occurred with others who are not in a position to fix the issues, and I will not keep re-discussing old occurrences unless the performance has not improved.
5. I recognize my duty of loyalty and will ensure that all my recommendations and decisions as a Board/Council/Committee member will be in the best interests of Lamaze International. Bias and self-serving or special interest will not be part of my recommendation or decision-making process.
6. I will accept, support and implement all decisions of the Council/Committee and Board of Directors, even those that I did not support or those that were made in my absence.
7. I will not speak or act for Lamaze International or the Board/Council/Committee unless specifically authorized to do so. I will not present opinions about Lamaze International business unless those opinions have been approved in advance by the Board or unless those opinions are clearly expressed as personal opinions and not necessarily the views of Lamaze International or its Board of Directors.
8. I will not divulge, reproduce, or distribute information outside of Board/Council/Committee meetings on matters under consideration, or which have been designated as confidential, without the express permission of the Council/Committee Chair or Lamaze International President or until it has been made public.
9. I will disclose any potential conflicts of interest and abstain from voting on matters where I or an immediate family member may have a personal interest or receive remuneration in accordance with the Lamaze International Conflict of Interest Policy.
Revised January 2010
DOWNLOAD PDF VERSION