In order to keep your LCCE credential current, you must apply for renewal every three years by submitting 25 contact hours of continuing education (in childbirth education). You can find your recertification deadline by looking at your certification card on the Certification Center.
Applying for Renewal
All renewal applications must be completed online through the Certification Center.
Below are the options for recertification:
- Submitting 25 contact hours of continuing education (completed within the last three years) LEARN MORE
- Retaking the Lamaze Certification Exam LEARN MORE
Earning Contact Hours
Standard CreditsCourses, seminars, and offerings for which participants are given a number of contact hours are generally considered standard. These contact hours can be earned through Lamaze International through our Annual Conference and online education offerings (such as homestudies, webinars, and learning modules) as well as through our approved providers.
Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis. For questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternate credit is an experience, or a combination of experiences, that help you grow your skills as a childbirth educator, but isn’t necessarily an educational course. You can earn alternate credit from a single category of activities or a combination of multiple categories.
Note that a maximum of 10 of the 25 contact hours submitted can be in the alternate category. In some cases, more than 10 hours may be reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis.
Examples of Alternate Credit (Click here to view)
Continuous Presence During Labor and Birth
Earn one hour of alternate credit for each hour of a labor and birth that you are continuously present during. A completed birth observation form must be uploaded to your renewal application
Earn one hour of alternate credit by observing another childbirth educator in a class setting.
Education or Certification Committee Service
Earn alternate credit by serving on a committee of the Lamaze Education Council or Certification Council. The Lamaze Administrative office will verify service hours.
Earn up to 10 hours of alternate credit for the first-time publication of a book, book chapter or an article directly related to childbirth education.
Earn up to five hours for considerably editing or rewriting a publication.
Earn alternate credit by writing and submitting questions for the Certification Exam. One hour of alternate credit is awarded for every question that is approved. Be sure to review the Item Writing Instructions, and submit your questions with the Item Writing Submission form.
Earn one hour of alternate credit for each hour of a lecture or presentation that you give at the undergraduate or graduate level. You can also give a presentation at a conference or within a university. All lectures or presentations must be childbirth education-related, and alternate credit will only be awarded for first-time presentations. An outline of the lecture or presentation must be submitted with the alternate credit form.
- All credits must be applicable to childbirth education.
- All credits must have been completed within the past three years.
- Up to 10 of the 25 contact hours may be submitted as alternate credit.
Credits submitted must be related to the Lamaze competencies. Click here to view a list of the competencies and sample topics accepted for recertification.
The Lamaze Competencies
- Competency 1: Promotes the childbearing experience as a normal, natural, and healthy process which profoundly affects women and their families.
- Competency 2: Assists women and their families to discover and to use strategies to facilitate normal, natural, and healthy pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, and early parenting.
- Competency 3: Helps women and their families to understand how complications and interventions influence the normal course of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding and early postpartum.
- Competency 4: Provides information and support that encourages attachment between babies and their families.
- Competency 5: Assists women and their families to make informed decisions for childbearing.
- Competency 6: Acts as an advocate to promote, support, and protect natural, safe and healthy birth.
- Competency 7: Designs, teaches, and evaluates a course in Lamaze preparation that increases a woman’s confidence and ability to give birth.
Samples of Continuing Education Topics
- Pregnancy, Labor and the Postpartum Period
- Increasing Women’s Confidence in Labor
- Promoting Healthy Birth for Optimal Outcomes
- Promoting, Supporting and Protecting Breastfeeding
- Teaching Adult Learners
Samples of Unacceptable Continuing Education Topics
- Neonatal Resuscitation
- Fetal Heart Rate Monitoring
- Breast Cancer
- Health issues NOT directly applicable to pregnancy, labor or the postpartum period
You don’t need to provide supporting documentation unless you’re audited. Lamaze randomly audits 10 percent of recertification applications submitted. If you’re audited, you’ll be asked to submit supporting documentation for each continuing education program listed on your application. We recommend that you save both a digital and hard copy of your documents for your own records and in the event that you are selected for a random audit. In the event that there is not sufficient evidence to support the completion of the required continuing education the application will be denied and the credential revoked.
Recertification Fees LEARN MORE
As of January 1, 2015 there are no longer member/non-member certification or recertification rates. All certification rates include membership until your next recertification date. If you do not see your country listed here, please visit our recertification fee structure page or contact us directly.
Group A: Australia, Canada, Israel, United Kingdom, United States
Recertification Fee: $225
Group B: Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Romania
Recertification Fee: $205
Group C: China, India, Philippines
Recertification Fee: $190
Group D: Haiti, Kenya, Nigeria
Recertification Fee: $180
Fees are payable to Lamaze International (U.S. funds only). Payment by check, credit card, or money order is accepted.
In addition to recertifying with continuing education contact hours, you have the option of renewing your certification by retaking and successfully passing the Lamaze Certification Exam (offered annually every spring and fall). The fee for recertification by exam is $255.